Dimensional Analysis Problems
1. The distance from the thumb to the little finger on Coach Oates' hand is 9.0 inches. Convert this to centimeters.
2. According to the Guinness Book of Records the heaviest baby ever born weighed 29 lbs 4 oz. (29.25 lbs). What was the baby's mass in kg? (Historical Note: The birth occurred in Effingham IL in 1939 and due to respiratory problems the baby died two hours later. The heaviest babies to survive weighed 22.5 lbs and were born in 1955 and 1982.)
3. Your cross country skis are 210 cm long. What is their length in inches?
4. A condor has a wing span of 3.05 m. What is the wing span in feet?
5. In Europe gasoline is sold by the liter. Assume that it takes 14 gallons of gasoline to fill the tank of a compact car. How many liters of gasoline will it take?
6. You have just received a French cookbook from the exchange student. You want to make 3.0 quarts of punch for a party. Will a recipe of 2.5 L be enough?
7. Some owls maintain territories of up to 3 acres. How many owls could live in a large wooded area of 20 hectares? (1 hectare=1 sq. dekameter=10,000 m2= 2.47 acres)
8. Ruth Palladium (RuPd) bought 10. acres of land and built a house on 2.0 acres. RuPd wanted to raise sheep on the remaining 8.0 acres. If it takes 1/8 (0.125) hectare to raise one sheep, how many sheep can be raised on the 8 acres.
9. One 1.6 oz. of package of cinnamon and spice instant oatmeal contains 34 g of carbohydrates. If you had instant oatmeal 6.0 days a week, how many ounces of carbohydrate would you consume in a week? (16 oz =1 lb = 454 G =256 Drams = 7000 Grains)
10. Many candybars have 9 g of fat per bar. If during a "chocolate attack" you ate one pack of candy (0.6 dekabars), how many ounces of fat would you have eaten? There are approximately 9 Calories per gram of fat, how many Calories is this?
11.If the RDA for vitamin C is 60. mg per day and there are 70. mg of vitamin C per 100. g of orange, how many 3.0 oz. oranges would you have to eat each week to meet this requirement?
12. If Gasp cigarettes have 5 mg tar and 0.4 mg nicotine per cigarette and there are 20. cigarettes per pack, how many packs of cigarettes would have to be smoked to coat your lungs with 4.0 oz (1/4 lb.) of tar? How many packs would you have to smoke to introduce your lungs to one gram of drug nicotine?
13. Mark McGuire hit 70 home runs in the 1998 season. Given that there are 4 bases with 90. feet between each base, how many miles did he run last season just from home runs?
14. Your chemistry teacher empties his dehumidifier tank once a day. If the capacity of the tank is 2 gallons, determine how many molecules of water did the dehumidifier collects from the air per millisecond.
15. In one of the episodes of the TV program McGyver, a plane load of gold was being transported form the Soviet Union to the United States during World War II. The plane crashed in the Artic region and to prevent the "bad guys" from getting the gold the pilot and co-pilot transferred it to a cave by stacking the gold on a door of the crashed plane and pulling the gold on this "sled" to the cave. You were led to believe in the episode that they accomplished the move in one trip because the gold was neatly stacked on the "sled" in the cave. The neatly stacked gold measured about 1 meter on a side. Calculate the weight, in tons, of one cubic meter of gold and determine if it would be possible for the two pilots to accomplish this feat. Would a plane of WWII vintage be able to carry this amount of gold? (ρAu=19.4 g/cm3)
16. Look up the current price of gold. What would one cubic meter of gold be worth today? You may assume that 1 troy ounce of gold equals 31.1 g. [ Note: one Advp. ounce is equal to about 28.3 grams. Different conversion factors are used for gold and silver because there are two different English ounces. One pound of gold is about 373 grams, while one pound of sand, or just abut everything else, is about 454 grams.]
17. Jason Biehl raised 60 goats, then entered into a series of business
transactions. He traded all the goats for sheep at an exchange
rate of 5 goats for 7 sheep. Next, he exchanged all the sheep for
hogs at a rate of 4 sheep for 2 hogs weighing 250 lbs. each. He
sold all the hogs at a market price of $55.00 per 100.0 lbs. How
much money did he make from the 60 goats?
Page Last Updated: Saturday June 27, 2009 Webmaster: Larry Jones Pickens County School District