Homework: Reading and Response
Please read the articles found at these links:
http://archive.archaeology.org/0705/abstracts/isotopes.html or http://goo.gl/nIZGWS
http://www.livescience.com/48924-mystery-of-vampire-burials-solved.html or http://goo.gl/vKCjT7
Answer the following questions in a typed document:
About Grasshopper Pueblo:
- What was the question archaeologists had about the people who had lived in the Grasshopper Pueblo?
- Which strontium isotopes were involved in answering the question? How many protons and neutrons were in each of the isotopes used in the study?
- How do tooth enamel and bone differ in terms of the origin of the strontium isotopes they contain?
- How did the researchers determine whether the people of Grasshopper Pueblo had migrated or always lived there?
- What does the study of isotopes in ancient skeletons reveal about whether people were sedentary or migratory?
About the Polish Vampires:
- Why were some people buried in a way that was supposed to prevent them from rising from the dead?
- What hypothesis were scientists testing about the supposed vampires and why people thought they were vampires?
- What did the scientists learn about where the suspected vampires had grown up?
- How did isotopes of strontium help answer the scientific question?