Answer the following questions using your lab handout and other class materials as a reference.
- Describe the energy levels of an
atom and how an electron moves between them. Be sure to
describe how the electron absorbs and emits energy when it
- What physical change happens to
atoms and molecules in a solution that is strongly heated in
a flame? Is there a phase change? If so, what is it?
- What is going on inside
atoms of a metal when atoms of that metal are placed in a
- Describe how you could figure out the flame test colors for a series of different salts. For example, NaCl, CaCl2, and KCl.
- What is required in order to be able
to identify an element based on its flame test color?
- Why do different elements have
different flame test colors?
- How to the designers of fireworks
make the explosions have different colors?
- What are the wavelengths of light
that are representative of the following colors: Violet,
Blue, Blue-green, Green, Yellow-green, Yellow, Orange, and